We are delighted that Wakefield Cathedral has recently been restored and renewed, thanks to major support from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the generosity of many other donors. It is a beautiful, flexible space for worship and for use by the whole community. This is now a church of which our city, diocese and region can be justifiably proud; a place for meeting, conversation, gathering, celebration and a positive force for good throughout the area.
Having secured the building and it's future, we are keen to attract new people through our doors and to develop our support across the region. To that end, we are re-launching the Friends of Wakefield Cathedral and would love you to join us on this journey.
To support the work, the life and the fabric of the Cathedral by
- Organising a wide range of events and visits
- Encouraging greater participation from all sectors in society
- To engage with other organisations and charities
- Being a valued part of the Cathedral community
- The feel-good factor of helping to safeguard the Cathedral for the future
- Providing a legacy for the whole community
- Invitations to special Friends' events, lectures, outings and social gatherings
- Discounts in participating shops and services where you see the Friends of Wakefield Cathedral sign
- Discounts on hiring the Cathedral or Crypt for your own events
Please see the links below for more information.
All are very welcome to Friends' organised events. You do not need to be a Friend in order to attend!
Derbyshire Well Dressing Trip
The Friends of Wakefield Cathedral trip to the Derbyshire Well Dressings was a huge success thanks to the excellent planning and organisation by David Dinsmore, the sunny weather and the lovely group of people onboard.
Youlgrave was the first port of call where we were greeted by Richard and Christine, David's cousin and his wife, who gave us an insight into the art form and took us on a tour of the superb well dressings around the village, calling in at the village hall en route for coffee and homemade cakes - included in the price.
On to Bakewell where there was time to enjoy the lively buzz of the market, more beautiful well dressings and a spot of lunch.
The afternoon culminated with a visit to Rowsley to Caudwell's Mill for the final well dressing of the day, time to peruse the crafts and buy flour in the mill before afternoon tea and scones in the café - also included in the cost
All in all, a wonderful day out providing fun and friendship and fantastic value for money.