The Mothers' Union is an international Christian charity that seeks to support families worldwide.
In 83 countries, our members share one heartfelt vision - to bring about a world where God's love is shown through loving, respectful and flourishing relationships. This is not a vague hope, but a goal we actively pursue through prayer, programmes, policy work and community relationships. By supporting marriage and family life, especially through times of adversity, we tackle the most urgent needs challenging relationships and communities.
Our members are not all mothers, or even all women. Single, married, parents, grandparents, or young adults just beginning to express their social conscience. For all 4 million members what Mothers' Union provides is a network through which they can serve Christ in their own community - through prayer, financial support and actively working at the grassroots level in programmes that meet local needs. We lobby local and national governments on issues affecting family life and campaign to challenge legislation that neglects the vulnerable and marginalised. We are also represented at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
Vision: Our vision is of a world where God's love is shown through loving, respectful, and ?ourishing relationships.
Mission: We will show our Christian faith by the transformation of communities worldwide.
We will promote stable marriage, family life and the protection of children.
- To promote and support married life
- To encourage parents in their role to develop the faith of their children
- To maintain a worldwide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service
- To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children
- To help those whose family life has met with adversity
Mothers' Union is a Christian mission organisation working with people of all faiths and none. We are firmly rooted in a voluntary ethos centred on mutual respect and collaboration. Our governance, leadership, and programmes are driven by and undertaken through members within their own communities worldwide.
- We believe in the value of each individual and their unique qualities
- We believe in the value of relationships. Jesus said, ''Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.''
- We believe in the value of the family in its many forms as a source of love and support for individuals and the basis for a caring community.
The Mothers' Union group at Wakefield Cathedral is twinned with that of Musoma, in the Mara region of Tanzania.